Welcome to Hao Zhu's homepage!
I’m an Assistant Professor with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, working in the Power and Energy Systems area. I am also affiliated with the Information Trust Institute, at the University of Illinois. My current research is focused on power system monitoring, operations and control, and energy data analytics.
- 07/2016: Our paper accepted by the IEEE Trans. Power Systems, co-authored with Maryam Kazerooni (first author), Tom Overbye and David Wojtczak: "
Transmission System Geomagnetically Induced Current Model Validation."
- 07/2016: We have received two NSF collaboration awards on distribution system management (with Li Na at Harvard) and wind energy integration (with Leo Chamorro at UIUC and Sven Schmitz at PSU). Excited to be working on these projects!
- 07/2016: I have been awarded the
USAF Summer Faculty Fellowship, working on low-latency airborne network designs at the Directorate of Information at Rome, NY.
Our patentwith co-inventors G. B. Giannakis, E. Dall'anese, et al, has been granted by the US Patent Office, on "ROBUST PARAMETRIC POWER SPECTRAL DENSITY (PSD) CONSTRUCTION."
- 05/2016: I have been awarded with a seed grant by the Siebel Energy Institute to collaborate with Dr. Elbanna Ahmed from CEE@Illinois on designing
network tomographymethods for power grids.
- 05/2016: Jamie has won the
Outstanding Poster in Engineering Awardat the 2016 UIUC Undergraduate Research Week, presenting our work on real-time strategies for GIC mitigation. Congrats Jamie! And good luck to your new job at San Diego Gas and Electric.
- 01/2016: We have been funded by the DoE ARPA-E GRID DATA program on developing
synthetic power systems models and datasets. Congratulations to the team!
- 12/2015: Our PSERC poster for the load modeling and real-time tracking project (S-60) has received
the best poster awardduring the Dec'15 IAB meeting at Texas A&M. Congratulations to students Kaiqing Zhang and Siming Guo!!
- 12/2015: We have received
a new PSERC grant(S-70) on quantifying CVR benefits and its interactions with DG inverter control, together with Drs. Zhaoyu Wang and Ajjarapu (Iowa State). Congrats to the team!
- 11/2015: We have received
a new grantfrom US DoE Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), on modeling validation of GMD and EMP events on the power grid.
- 11/2015: We are now working under the new CREDC center, on the
security and dynamic interoperabilityof microgrid assets.
- 11/2015: Hao is now serving on the
steering committeeof the IEEE Smart Grid.
- 11/2015: Our
paper acceptedby the IEEE Trans. Power Systems, co-authored with Max Liu: “Fast Local Voltage Control under Limited Reactive Power: Optimality and Stability Analysis” (arxiv pdf link)
10/2015: Ceci has won the
second-place in the poster competitionat the annual Society of Women Engineers WE15 conference, presenting our work on "Enhancing grid monitoring for renewable energy integration: Distribution system state estimation using semidefinite programming." Congrats Ceci! See her recent interview with the College of Engineering here.
10/2015: Hao is going to offer a
new coursenext spring, on Power Distribution System Analysis. Stay tuned!
09/2015: We have received
an NSF award: EAR-1520864: Hazards SEES: Improved prediction of geomagnetic disturbances, geomagnetically induced currents, and their impacts on power distribution systems. Hao is working with Jamie Padilla (BS, EE'16) on real-time operational strategies for mitigating GICs.
09/2015: We have received
a grantfrom the UIUC Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (iSEE), on Sustainable Infrastructure. Hao is working with Zichen Liao (BS, EE'17) on the modeling of coupled electricity gas-pipeline networks.
09/2015: Hao has presented at a
PSERC webinaron "Distribution system voltage control under imperfect communications," which had a record-high number of connections (200). You can access to the slides and webcast from the PSERC website.