Welcome to Hao Zhu's homepage!
I’m an Assistant Professor with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, working in the Power and Energy Systems area. I am also affiliated with the Information Trust Institute, at the University of Illinois. My current research is focused on power system monitoring, operations and control, and energy data analytics.
- 09/2016: Our NAPS paper by Steven Lu and Max Liu (both student authors) on "
Distributed Secondary Control for Isolated Microgrids under Malicious Attacks" has won the 2nd Best Paper Award. Congrats to the student authors!
- 08/2016: Our paper accepted by the HICSS 2017 Conference, authored by Kaiqing Zhang (first author) and Siming Guo: "
Parameter Sensitivity and Dependency Analysis for the WECC Dynamic Composite Load Model." Congrats to Kaiqing for the first conference paper.
- 07/2016: We have received a grant on "Aggregating Distributed Energy Resources as Secure Virtual Power Plants" from the
US DoE Sandia Lab Academic Alliance Program. Looking forward to working with Sandia researchers on this project!
- 07/2016: Our paper accepted by the IEEE Trans. Power Systems, co-authored with Maryam Kazerooni (first author), Tom Overbye and David Wojtczak: "
Transmission System Geomagnetically Induced Current Model Validation."
- 07/2016: We have received two NSF collaborative awards on distribution system management (with Lina at Harvard) and wind energy integration (with Leo Chamorro at UIUC and Sven Schmitz at PSU), respectively. Excited to be working on these projects!
- 07/2016: I have been awarded the
US AFRL Summer Faculty Fellowship, working on low-latency airborne network designs at the Directorate of Information at Rome, NY.
Our patentwith co-inventors G. B. Giannakis, E. Dall'anese, et al, has been granted by the US Patent Office, on "ROBUST PARAMETRIC POWER SPECTRAL DENSITY (PSD) CONSTRUCTION."
- 05/2016: I have been awarded with a seed grant by the Siebel Energy Institute to collaborate with Dr. Elbanna Ahmed from CEE@Illinois on designing
network tomographymethods for power grids.
- 05/2016: Jamie has won the
Outstanding Poster in Engineering Awardat the 2016 UIUC Undergraduate Research Week, presenting our work on real-time strategies for GIC mitigation. Congrats Jamie! And good luck to your new job at San Diego Gas and Electric.
- 01/2016: We have been funded by the DoE ARPA-E GRID DATA program on developing
synthetic power systems models and datasets. Congratulations to the team!